A Snippet of Village History
Our village is an ancient one. Kingston goes back to early Saxon times, though there is no documentary record of it until the year 970.Kingston Bagpuize takes its name from Ralph de Bachepuz a Norman knight who came from a Normandy village calledBacquepuis, Eure, Upper Normandy, France
This Norman knight came with William the Conquerer in 1066.How do you pronounce Bagpuize? It is pronounced by twentieth-century villagers as Bag-pews. The place name Southmoor is mentioned in deeds in 1230. The two once separate villages are now combined.
Village Histories have been written about Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor and those of the surrounding villages of Longworth, Hinton Waldrist, and Fyfield. All of these histories, with the exception of Fyfield, are available from the Longworth and District History Society. A history of Charney Bassett was written by Jasmine S. Howse but this is now out of print. It is though, available for reading in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies.
The Parish Registers of Kingston Bagpuize, and Longworth have been transcribed, as have those for Fyfield, Hinton, Charney and Tubney. The Monumental Inscriptions of Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor Church and the Chapel have also been recorded, as have those for Longworth, Hinton, Charney and Fyfield and Tubney. These Parish Register and Monumental Inscription transcripts are all available from the Oxfordshire Family History Society.