Tithe Apportionment Detail for Draycott Moor (aka Southmoor)

From the Anglo Saxon period, the local church was entitled to one tenth of the local produce, known as the tithe. The Tithe Commutation Act of 1836 provided a general framework under which tithes that had been paid in kind could be converted to cash payments. The process of determining the amount of tithe payable by each landowner produced a series of documents - particularly large scale maps and lists of local land owners and occupiers. These are excellent for charting against the 1841 census.

Transcribed Tithe Apportionment for Draycott Moor (Southmoor) taken on the 27th March 1844.

LANDOWNER OCCUPIER
Blandy John Himself
Blandy John Kimber  
Blandy John Thatcher + others
Blandy John Blandy John-himself  
Blandy John Kimber, John  
Blandy John Shepherd, John + others
Bowles, Thomas Himself  
Brown, Thomas Brooks, Isaac  
Church, Richard Himself  
Church, Richard Shurey, John + others
Church, Richard Himself  
Church, Richard Comley, Philip + another
Clarke, Thomas Weaver, Thomas + another
Clarke, Thomas Himself  
Clarke, Henry Himself  
Eaton, John Himself  
Giles, Richard Himself  
Herbert, James Himself  
Hinton William Himself
Hissey, John Himself  
Hissey, John Truman, Joseph  
King, Charles Himself  
King, William Himself  
Litchfield, Thomas Himself  
Litchfield, Thomas Dean, John + another
Prior, Elizabeth Clark, Thomas  
Sexton, John Himself  
Shepherd, George Himself  
Shepherd, George Jowett, Rev. + others
Stone, George Himself  
Weslyan Chapel 10 perches  
Parish Pound 8 perches  
Public Roads in the Township.    

The actual tithe apportionment books, are very large and wide.