Let's talk about kingston-bagpuize.com
Why this website? What's it about?
Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor - a Village Snapshot is a result of my two favourite hobbies - creating websites and family and local history research, both of which I share with my husband.
This site explores, through genealogical and other data, some historical aspects of this area and its people. It is an ongoing task with no time limit or cut off date.
The purpose of this site is threefold:-
- To help promote and preserve the history of the village of Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor and area, in conjunction with the Longworth & District History Society.
- To give an insight of our village for visitors to Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor and area.
- To offer genealogical and website creation help.
What this site offers.
- Census 1891 Census transcribed.
- Wills - List of Wills available for the area.( An ongoing history society project.)
- Tithe Map Apportionment for Draycott Moor.
- List of people from the transcribed Monumental Inscriptions of Kingston Bagpuize Church and Southmoor Methodist Chapel.
- List of many Non-conformists buried 'under the roses' at Longworth.
- All the Parish Registers for the area have been transcribed and a listing is available.
- Village Stories.
- Maps of the village for 1881.
Links for additional help.
- Parish Register Coverage is available from The Oxfordshire FHS.
- Modern Ordnance Survey Maps are here.
- For modern location maps visit:- www.multimap.com http://searches.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/pardata.html
Putting something back - Paying it forward.
From Family Historians worldwide, I have gained such a great deal of knowledge and outstanding help, which has been given freely or inexpensively and I have alwys been conscious of the need to repay this - putting something back - paying it forward into family and local history. This website allows me to pay back / pay it forward and hopefully will help and encourage others.
I designed my first website, as I really wanted to broadcast our research interests, in the hope that others would be able to share and link. I then became hooked on web design and had found a new and absorbing hobby!
Sharing genealogical information is something that I have always been ready to do and I have long wanted to design a website about one of my ancestors villages or home towns.This I once did for a Somerset village, but inevitably I found that living far from the region, it became more difficult to source information and keep up-to-date.
I decided to write about the subject I knew most about, Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor and its inhabitants, past and present. The village has been our family home for over 40 years. I am involved in the local and family history societies and with my husband had done much research of this area. We had transcribed the local Parish Registers and had also transcribed several local graveyards for the Oxfordshire Family History Society.
I hope you enjoy the website and will return soon to read more updates to the site.
Please consider writing a short story of your memories to add to this site. I shall ensure that this also goes into the archives of the Longworth & District History Society if that is your wish.
Please feel free to browse the site to discover more about our village. If you are seeking information on a particular locality or subject, why not use the site search facility and contact us using the Contact Form provided.